Join us! The Friends of Santa Ana NWR, also known as the Friends of the Wildlife Corridor, is a non-profit organization established in 1997 by a group of citizens who were concerned about the loss of habitat in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The group's original focus was to protect and restore lands for inclusionin the wildlife corridor, of which the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR is a big part. Today, the Friends of Santa Ana NWR are accomplishing their original mission in many creative and interesting ways!
Some of the Friends' accomplishments include:
• Purchase and temporarily hold land until the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR can purchase. Tracts identified are typically small but serve the very important function of connecting existing Refuge lands.
• Operate the Nature Store at Santa Ana NWR and the Roma Bluffs World Birding Center. All profit from the sales of educational, interpretive and promotional materials in the two storesfunds Refuge projects.
• Financially support the volunteer program, annual Rio Reforestation, construction of trails and boardwalks, and the purchasing of outreach and educational materials.
• Successfully secure grants, including funding to start the canoe program at Santa Ana NWR and in Roma, as well as to build the Overlook Tower on Santa Ana NWR.
• Conduct outreach through special events, the web site, brochures and other promotional materials.
• Lobby on a local and national level for land acquisition funding and other issues that affect wildlife conservation in South Texas.
Current members of Friends of the Wildlife Corridor Board of Directors:
• Michael Boylan, President
• Jesús Franco, Vice-President
• Lois Hughes
• Cheryl Longton
• John McClung
• Bob Powell
• Richard Ramke, Secretary
• Sharon Slagle
• Jim Tabak
The Friends of Santa Ana (aka Friends of the Wildlife Corridor)
is an organization driven by its supporters.
Become a supporter and make a donation today!
Sign up to receive the free electronic newsletter
so that you can stay up-to-date on what is happening
on South Texas National Wildlife Refuges.
The Friends will spend the entirety of your donation helping
protect, restore and enhance the Santa Ana and
Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuges.
For your support, you will receive an electronic confirmation