Kayak the Laguna Madre!
Tour the wild and scenic Laguna Madre
as seen from the
Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge!
Enjoy a half day, guided kayak tour to discover this amazing ecosystem and the wildlife that depends on it.
Tours include basic kayak instruction, wildlife watching and light refreshments. Tours are seasonal (June - September).
Tours begin June 1 and are offered Saturdays, Sundays and 2 Fridays per month through August and weekends in September.
Advance reservations required! Call (956)748-3607 ext. 111 (Visitor Center) to learn more about the program and to make a reservation.
Cost is $30 per adult/$25 children ages 8 - 12- Price includes guides, equipment, instruction, transportation to the launch site and backto the Visitor Center, and light refreshments. All proceeds benefit the Friends of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, a non-profit organization established to protect, support and enhance the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.
Report to the Visitor Center at 8:00 am.Tour begins at 8:15 and returns to the Visitor Center by 1 p.m. On the water time is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
We use tandem kayaks (2 people per boat). If you have a child under 13, please have an older person in your group available to provide assistance in the kayak. If you have an odd number in your group, don't worry, we will pair you with a guide.
If time and conditions allow, we offer the opportunity to explore the Laguna Madre with dipnets for critters at the end. All wildlife will be released after being observed.
What Is Provided:
- Kayaks, paddles, life jackets
- Transportation and tour to and from the Laguna Atascosa NWR Visitor Center
- Knowledgeable guides that provide basic kayak instruction and an interpretive tour, both on land and on the water
- Drink and snack after the tour
What To Bring:
- Sun protection, including waterproof sunscreen and a hat
- Drinking water in a refillable, non-breakable container
- Shoes that you don't mind getting wet or muddy and that stay securely on your foot. Sandals are discouraged. No flip flops.
- Insect repellent
- Towel and change of clothes for the ride home
Other Helpful Information:
- Participants 12 and under must each be accompanied by an adult. Sorry, this activity is not appropriate for children under age 8.
- This is a guided, educational trip offered by the Friends of Laguna Atascosa NWR and the refuge. Participants are not allowed to bring their own kayaks or launch their own kayaks from the refuge.
- This is a physical sport. Participantsare expected to help carry equipment and paddle.
- Expect to get wet. You will be standing in water up to your thighs, and you will get water dripped on you from the paddle.
- No alcohol is allowed on the refuge.
- Once back at the visitor center, we have a hose available to wash off. You may wish to bring a change of clothes and a towel to have a more comfortable trip home.
Tours are weather dependent, participants will be notified if a tour is cancelled due to high winds or inclement weather.
Great for families, educational groups, wildlife watchers, outdoor enthusiasts and anyone interested in an adventure!