Friends of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge recently were awarded the "Friends of the Year" Award for the Southwest Region of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Take a look:
Join us! The Friends of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge is comprised of people who care about the Refuge and the incredible and unique diversity of wildlife found here. Established in 1997, its purpose is to protect, support and enhance the Refuge. Our membership is comprised of bird watchers, fishermen/women, hunters, educators, business people, outdoor enthusiasts, volunteers and more. With funding the Friends receive through memberships, grants and sponsorships, they have accomplished a lot to benefit wildlife, including:
• Organize and host the annual Ocelot Conservation Festival held in Harlingen, Texas. Since 1997, this festival has helped educate thousands about the plight of the endangered ocelot and all funds raised at the festival go to research and conservation to benefit the ocelot.
• Have donated approximately $7,000 since 2004 to help monitor and protect Kemp's ridley sea turtles, as well as donated equipment necessary to the recovery effort.
• Operate the Visitor Center's nature bookstore, which offers educational, interpretive and promotional materials. All proceeds go to projects on the Refuge.
• Successfully write grants, including funding for the Bahia Grande restoration and boardwalk at Redhead Ridge overlook.
• Conduct outreach through special events, the web site, brochures and other promotional materials.
• Lobby on a local and national level for land acquisition funding and other issues that affect wildlife conservation in South Texas.
Click here to join today!
Annual Membership Levels
|Senior/Student ||$ 20.00 |
|Individual ||$ 30.00 |
|Family ||$ 50.00|
|Supporting ||$ 75.00|
|Benefactor ||$ 1,000.00|
|Corporate Sponsor ||$ 2,500.00|
Your Friends of Laguna Atascosa NWR membership will include:
• A Refuge Pass good for free admission to Laguna Atascosa and Santa Ana NWRs.
• A 15% discount on all items at the Laguna Atascosa NWR Nature Store.
• Invitation to members-only activities and special events.
• Opportunities to serve on the Board of Directors or Committees.
• Free entry to and opportunity to support special events and activities, including the Ocelot Conservation Festival and the South Texas Sea Turtle Nesting Project.
* Benefactors receive one annual Refuge Pass good for two consecutive years plus all other benefits for life.
** Corporate Sponsorship offers tremendous advertising opportunities by highlighting your company's name and logo at the Ocelot Conservation Festival and other special events hosted by the Refuge.
Click here to join! Once your membership is received, the Friends will mail you a welcome letter that will include a Refuge Pass and membership card.
With the exception of the Benefactor Membership level, all membership benefits expire the last day of March.