The new website for Friends of the Wildlife Corridor will be up and available on June 31, 2014! From that date on, please access the new website using the domain name friendsofthewildlifecorridor.org. (Yes, we're late, but we're confident of the new launch date!)
Join us! The Friends of the Wildlife Corridor, also known as the Friends of Santa Ana NWR, is a non-profit organization established in 1997 by a group of citizens who were concerned about the loss of habitat in the lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The group's original focus was to protect and restore lands for inclusion in the wildlife corridor, of which the Lower Rio Grande Valley (LRGV) National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) is a big part. Today, the Friends of the Wildlife Corridor are accomplishing their original mission in many creative and interesting ways!
Some of their accomplishments include:
• Purchase and temporarily hold land until the LRGV NWR can purchase. Tracts identified are typically small but serve the very important function of connecting existing Refuge lands.
• Operate the Nature Stores at Santa Ana NWR and the Roma Bluffs World Birding Center. All of the profit from the sales of educational, interpretive and promotional materials in the two stores fund Refuge projects.
• Financially support the volunteer program, annual Rio Reforestation, construction of trails and boardwalks, and the purchasing of outreach and educational materials.
• Successfully secure grants, including funding for canoe programs,enhancing trails and boardwalks and much more.
• Conduct outreach through special events, the web site, brochures and other promotional materials.
• Lobby on a local and national level for land acquisition funding and other issues that affect wildlife conservation in South Texas.
The Friends of the Wildlife Corridor is a non-profit organization driven by supporters. Help out by becoming asupporter!
Sign up for our free electronic newsletter
tostay informed about what is happening on South Texas
Refuges and how your support benefits wildlife!
The Friends will spend the entirety of your contribution helping
protect, restore and enhance the Santa Ana and Lower Rio
Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuges.
You will receive an electronic confirmation of your donation.